Saturday, April 24, 2010

Relay for Life 2010

So last night was my local American Cancer Society "Relay for Life" event... and it has me thinking.
I've participated in this event since I started teaching, 8 (gasp!) years ago. I was introduced to RFL in Clayton County by a coworker at Anderson Elementary. Stacey Powell was a special needs pre-K teacher and a cancer survivor. She had an amazing energy; she was inspiring. She was the team captain for our RFL team. I was young, I'd never known anyone with cancer, and I walked in her honor.

Over the years, I've met people touched by cancer. I remember distinctly the year that Mr. Harris passed away. His wife was a parapro at the school with me, and he came to visit all the time. There was a rocking chair in the media center in his honor- because that was his favorite place to be. I walked in his honor.

After several years I taught in a new place. New school, new county, new event. I attended RFL in Henry County with several coworkers, and most of us brought our small kids. Abby had a great time at the event. Here's a picture of her in goggles- can't remember why- they went with our theme somehow. :)


After a year I started teaching in a new place again, this time in Rockdale County. I was introduced to Rockdale County RFL by a coworker and friend, Beth Withers. I helped as much as I could with school-level fundraising and the like over the next couple years... This time with a new vengeance. During the last few years, my life had been touched over and over by the evil that is cancer.

In my new school, I learn that a few of my coworkers are cancer survivors. My BFF, Tara, had a cancer scare this year, that -THANK GOODNESS- turned out to be nothing more than a scare. I got scared and took myself to the dermatologist, worrying about a bump on my skin. I was embarrassed, but BEYOND HAPPY, to be told that it is scar tissue from an old mosquito bite (who knew?).

Some of my motivation from the last few years is without happy endings, though. I heard from friends that Stacey Powell- my coworker and RFL guru from my first year of teaching- had a relapse and the disease spread so quickly that they couldn't stop it. RIP Stacey. I hear through the grapevine that another former coworker was hospitalized for cancer and related issues, and never gets to leave the hospital. RIP Elaine. My uncle's long-time girlfriend had a breast cancer relapse- and again, it reappeared and then spread so quickly that they could not stop it. She passed away just a short two months or so after it was found. RIP Kim. Cancer attacked my grandpa, and while he was able to fight it off, it left him weak. He continued living life to the fullest possible for about two years, and then passed away this past November, unable to defend his body from a MRSA infection. RIP John Louree- I think of you every day and miss you more than words can tell.

So this year, with two kids in tow, I attended RLF again. To be honest, life has been hectic and fundraising has not been in the forefront of my thoughts, but I wanted to participate and show my support. I took the kids last night, and was amazed when I looked at the time, I can't believe we made it until almost midnight! I talked to Abby about what the Relay is about, we talked about Great Grandpa getting sick and how we want to help people so that other people don't have to get so sick and die like he did. We talked about the raising money part, and she was eager to buy things from all the teams who had items for sale. She is such a loving child, I don't know how I got so lucky. We walked and talked, and in the end got to play a little, too. I'm glad we got to do our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment