Thursday, October 29, 2009

What a day

Work was long and hard- my students were at their least cooperative, and the day seemed to drag on forever.

Then I spoke with my mom on the phone, and hear that my grandpa still isn't doing well. He's been in the hospital for over three weeks. He was admitted for breathing difficulty- turns out he had pneumonia. They ended up putting him into an induced coma, to perform the necessary procedures. Well, he's still not completely out of it. They stopped the sedatives. They took out his breathing tube. He still has a feeding tube, but otherwise is on his own- breathing wise, etc. However, he can't move. He can squeeze your hand and nod his head, but is otherwise immobile. He can barely speak, a few words at a time, soft and hoarse. My mom and my brother are right there, and both seem scared that he's given up. I haven't seen him since July- when we were dancing at my cousin's wedding. I just cannot wrap my mind around this, and when I try, I just break down. He hasn't met his great-grandson yet. I am just heart-broken. I am going to send him some pictures and things- in hopes of getting his spirits up. I would do anything...

1 comment:

  1. We took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Orlando to visit. Abby, Alex, and I drove for longer than it should take, and once in Orlando, visited Grandpa in the hospital and Grandma in her new assisted living condo. Grandpa is doing the same as everyone has said- he can't do much- can't move, besides squeezing your hand. But I felt so much better after seeing him. He tried to say Abby's name, he smiled at Alex, and he gave me a big grin when I told him that the Gators were playing Georgia that afternoon. :) I feel much more optimistic about his outlook now. But I am also much more at peace- if things should take a turn for the worse- he knows how much I love him, he has seen how big my girl has gotten, and met my little man. <3

    ReplyDelete