Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My grandpa is resting in peace tonight

I got the call at work. My mom called around 215 to tell me that my grandpa had passed away.

She said that he'd finally been moved into the hospice yesterday, late afternoon. He hadn't been talking since then. My grandma spent the night with him- a first since he was admitted to the hospital over a month and a half ago. My grandma and my mom were there with him this afternoon. She said he took a breath, closed his eyes, and just didn't breath again.

I'm so glad that he's truly at peace. But I just can't believe that he's really gone.

I told Abby while we were making dinner. We'd just talked, two days ago, about our visit to Orlando, and seeing Great-Grandpa in the hospital. I'd told her that he was still feeling bad, and we talked about making a "Feel Well" card, as she called it. I told her tonight that he got more sick, and the doctors couldn't make him better, and he died. Her response was "Oh! ... Now Great-grandma has to live alone? She'll be lonely!" I asked it she'd like to make a card for Great-grandma, to cheer her up... and she said "Oh- and a feel well card too?" I had to take a breath... and told her that Great-grandpa wasn't going to feel well again... because he wasn't alive anymore. She frowned and said "Oh, I forgot." She made a pretty card for great-grandma. I asked her what she wanted it to say- I wrote out the words on a paper so she could copy them. This is what she wrote: "I love you. I hope you are happy, but I know you might feel sad. Love, Abby" <3

No comments:

Post a Comment