Thursday, July 12, 2012

Starting Fresh. Again.

It all starts with, of all things, Harry Potter.

Abby (who just turned 7), read the entire Harry Potter series- all 7 books- this past year.  She has been begging to go to "Harry Potter World" (AKA 'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter' at Universal Studios Orlando)- and since we visit family in Orlando regularly, it was not out of the question.  I told her that she and I could go on our next visit to Orlando. 

And so we did.

In preparation, I did some research.  I know I'm a big girl.  Ok, I'm obese.  Very much so.  And roller coasters are definitely something that worried me- because of my size.  So I googled.  It seems that many people consider Universal, and the WWOHP specifically, to be "sizest".  Apparently there have been quite a few folks who didn't fit in the rides.  This made me nervous, but I was glad to have the information. 

I was thankful that my brother was able to go with us. 

The three of us headed for Universal, and went straight for Hogwarts Castle.  Stood in line for an hour and a half.  Upon entering the boarding area, two attendants politely asked me to try out the sample seat "so they could ensure me a comfortable ride". Yep, no go.  The thing that comes down over your head would not latch at all.  My brother looked bewildered, but I said thank you, told Abby to have fun riding with Christopher, and I headed for the waiting spot at the end of the ride. 

I was ok- it really was a low key transaction, no big public humiliation like some of the folks online claimed- until:
1) I realized that the whole time I was back there, NO ONE ELSE was rejected.
2) Abby got off the ride with her face covered in tears.  She'd been terrified.  :(

That was a big wakeup call.  You know- a year or so ago, I made a list of "reasons I should get healthy"- and riding coasters with my kids was one... But I hadn't been faced with the actuality.

SOOO....

I started this week by planning out our family menus and shopping for healthy food.  I've been logging on Sparkpeople.com all week, and two days ago, I joined a little gym near our house.  So far I've gone twice and worked out hard.  I have a (free) appointment with a personal trainer on Saturday, too. 

No joke.  This is for real.  I'm done with this body and all that comes with it- time for transformation.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes it takes something jarring like that to set our journey into motion! just think in a year you'll go back and ride with her no problem!

    ReplyDelete