Wednesday, December 2, 2009

End of November / Florida Trip

What an eventful (and not in a fun way) month we've had.

Car accident- NO FUN. Can I just tell you- I am now looking both ways about 20 times before I pull out into traffic. *sigh*

Grandma moving into assisted living. I'm not there to help, but get frequent updates from my mom about the moving and decluttering process. I cannot fathom the STUFF that accumulates when a family has lived in the same house for SIXTY years.

Grandpa passing away. After discussions went on for nearly a week, he was moved to Hospice. My grandma spent the night with him for the first time in about two months. He passed away the next day. My mom and grandma were with him; he closed his eyes and just didn't draw another breath. I'm glad he went peacefully. I'm thankful that he's no longer in pain. I am grateful beyond words that I was able to visit last month- to take the kids and see him one last time. I am glad that I was NOT there for the cruel, hateful things that were said to my mom, aunt, and grandma by my uncle. I don't know that I could have responded respectfully.

Even though it may not have made sense financially, Chas agreed to acompany me and the kids to Florida for the service. Abby and Alex both behaved beautifully at the church, but you just never know how those things are going to go- and I couldn't bear the thought of having to walk out with the crying baby or something. A week in Orlando was a bit trying- especially on a shoestring (maybe a threadbare shoestring!) budget, but we relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. The service was nice, and most importantly, my grandma was pleased.

My mom offered to watch the kids, and Chas and I took a SUPER-rare night out. We had the early bird special at a local seafood restaurant (Straubs, for those familiar with the Altamonte area- yummy and great service, too!) and then went to the movies! I can't even remember the last time I went to the movies!! LOL We saw "Men Who Stare at Goats" and we both enjoyed it. :)

Thanksgiving was wonderful. Aunts, uncles, and cousins all present (well, except the one who might have gotten beat up if he'd attended). Wonderful company, excellent food, and an overall great way to spend the holiday.

We went to a "Black Friday Brunch" at the home of one of my sorority sisters. There were a bunch of us there- spouses and kids in tow. I think there were a total of NINE little ones- ranging from a few weeks old (Teresa's twins) to four and a half (my big girl!). It was wonderful to share our little bundles of joy- and to reminisce.

After all that time in Orlando, we headed to Jacksonville to see Chas's family. We were only able to stay two nights- but they were nice. I always enjoy spending time with my in-laws. We were sad to find, Friday night, that my mother-in-law's aunt passed away. She lived 95 wonderful years, but it is always sad to see someone go.

We're now home. Thank goodness. And entering the crazy holiday season. I can't believe Christmas is 23 days away! There's so much to do! ACK! This Saturday alone, I have four places to be... pretty much at the same time. LOL We're going to try our best to make it to three of them- family photos, brunch with Santa, and a birthday party. I'm sad Abby's missing the opportunity to be in a parade- but they were the last ones to advise us of the event... so they didn't make "the cut". ;)

Enough blogging for one lunch time. More another time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment